- PhD, Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia, 1984
- MA, Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia, 1981
- BA, History, Philosophy, North Park College, 1977.
- 2001-present, Professor, Department of Political Science, Villanova University.
- 1992-2001, Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, Villanova University.
- 1986-1992, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Villanova University.
- 1984-1986, Lecturer, Department of Government and Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia.
Research and Publications
- The Sovereignty Dispute over the Falkland (Malvinas) Islands, Oxford University Press, New York, 1988.
- The Religious Challenge to the State, co-edited with Matthew Moen, Temple University Press, Philadelphia, 1992.
- Economic Development under Democratic Regimes: Neoliberalism in Latin America, Praeger Publishers, 1994.
- Thucydides’ Theory of International Relations: A Lasting Possession, Louisiana State .Press, 2000
- Ancient Maya Gender Identity and Relations, co-edited with Amelia M. Trevelyan, Westport: Bergin and Garvey, 2002./li>
- Economic Performance Under Democratic Regimes in Latin America in the Twenty- First Century, co-edited with Satya Pattnayak, Edwin Mellen Press, New York, 2003.
- National and Human Security Issues in Latin America: Democracies at Risk, co-edited with Satya Pattnayak, Edwin Mellen Press, 2006.
- “The Principle of Self-Determination and the Dispute about Sovereignty over the Falkland Islands,” Inter-American Economic Affairs, Volume 37, Number 4, Spring 1984, pp. 81-99.
- “Is there any hope for Argentina?” The World and I, July 1990, pp. 124-129.
- “Factionalism, Centralism, and Federalism,” Publius: The Journal of Federalism, Volume 20, Number 3, pp. 163-176.
- “Racismo y Humanismo en los Textos Sagrados Occidentales,” Sociología: Perspectivas y Debates Numero 2, Año 2005, (Universidad de Playa Ancha, Chile)
- “Big History and Big Politics,” Metanexus, May 30, 2013, http://www.metanexus.net/essay/big-history-and-big-politics
- Gustafson, L. (2014). “Big History.” International Schools Journal, XXXIII(2), 35 – 46.
- Gustafson, L (2017). “Nature’s Artistic Narrative.” Journal of Literature and Art Studies, October 2017, Vol. 7, No. 10, doi: 10.17265/2159-5836/2017.10.000
- Gustafson, L. (2018) “The Real Thucydides Trap.” Vol. XXXI, Nos. 1 & 2, 2018, Humanitas (ISSN 1066-7210)
- “Challenge and Accommodation in Religion and Politics,” co-written with Matthew Moen, in The Religious Challenge to the State, Moen and Gustafson, eds.
- “Church and State in Argentina,” in The Religious Challenge to the State, Moen and Gustafson, eds.
- “Introduction,” in Economic Development under Democratic Regimes, Gustafson,
- “Restoring Argentina’s Liberal Economic Development,” in Economic Development under Democratic Regimes, Gustafson,
- “Interdependence and World Order,” in Community , Diversity, and a New World Order, edited by Kenneth W. Thompson, University Press of America, Lanham,
- “Shared Gender Relations: Early Mesoamerica and the Maya,” in Ancient Maya Gender Identity and Relations.
- “Mother – Father Kings,” in Ancient Maya Gender Identity and Relations.
- “The Problems of Democratic Consolidation in Latin America,” co-authored with Satya R. Pattnayak, in Economic Performance Under Democratic Regimes in Latin America in the Twenty-First Century.
- “Latin American Democracy in Historical Perspective,” co-authored with Satya Pattnayak, in Economic Performance Under Democratic Regimes in Latin America in the Twenty-First Century.
- “From Abundance to Bust: The Long Argentine Crisis,” in Economic Performance Under Democratic Regimes in Latin America in the Twenty-First Century.
- “Democracy and Security in Latin America,” in National and Human Security Issues in Latin America: Democracies at
- “Islamic Threats to Latin American Democracy and Security,” in National and Human Security Issues in Latin America: Democracies at Risk.
- “Neoconning America: The Deliberate Use of Deception” in Hussain Imtiaz, Valdés Ugalde, José Luis, (Co-Editors.), By other means, for other ends: Bush’s re-election reassessed, Universidad Iberoamericana,
- Gustafson, L. (2014). “From Particles to Politics.” Teaching and Researching Big History: Exploring a New Scholarly Field (pp. 72 – 99). Volgograd, Russia: Uchitel Publishing House.
- Gustafson, L. (2015). “Colonial Vs National Self-Determination in the Falkland (Malvinas) Islands,” in Fonkem Achankeng, Editor, Nationalism and Intra-State Conflicts in the Postcolonial World, Rowman and Littlefield, Lanham, MD.
- Gustafson, L. (2015). “Big Politics” in Barry Rodrigue, Leonid Grinin, and Andrey Korotayev, co-editors, A Big History Anthology, Volume I, Primus Books, Delhi, India.
- Gustafson, L. (2016). “The Geopolitics of Global Citizenship” in Tammy Birk and Irene Langran co-editors. Globalization and Global Citizenship. Routledge, New York.
- Gustafson, L. (2017). “Identity and Big Geopolitics” in Osamu Nakanishi, chief editor, Universal Studies and the Modern World: Becoming Global and Cosmic Humanity. Institute for GLobal and Cosmic Peace, Tokyo, Japan.
- “Convergence and Challenge: Christian-Jewish Cultures and the Legacies of Columbus,” in Cofradia Internacional de Investigadores: Actas del Congreso Beresit II, Toledo, Spain,
- William J. Jordan, Panama Odyssey, University of Texas Press, Austin, 1984, in Political Science Quarterly, Winter 1984-85, Vol.99, No.4, pp. 766, 767.
- Alfred H. Saunders, ed., The Public Sector in Latin America, The University of Latin America at Austin, Austin, 1984, in South Eastern Latin Americanist, Volume XXXI, Numbers 1-2, June-Sept.
- Bradford Burns, At War in Nicaragua: The Reagan Doctrine and the Politics of Nostalgia, in the Social Science Quarterly, March 1988, Vol. 69, No.1, pp. 237, 238.
- Kenneth Rodman, Sanctity vs. Sovereignty: The United States and the Nationalization of Natural Resource Investments, in Political Science Quarterly, Summer 1989, 104, No.2, pp. 355, 356.
- Hurst Hannum, Autonomy, Sovereignty, and Self-Determination, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1990, in Political Science Quarterly.
- Stephen Offutt. New Centers of Global Evangelicalism in Latin America and Africa, H-Net Reviews, 2015, https://www.h-net.org/reviews/showpdf.php?id=44144
- “The Issue of Intervention in U.S. Policy Towards Latin America” presented to the South West Social Science Association convention in San Antonio, Texas, March 1986.
- “The Consolidation of Democracy in Argentina since 1983” presented to the South East Latin American Studies Association convention in Merida, Mexico, March, 1987.
- “Power and Foreign Policy: The Case of Argentina” presented to the International Studies Association, Washington, D.C., March 1987
- “U.S. Foreign Trade Policy Making” presented to the Northeast Political Science Association in Philadelphia, November, 1987.
- “Argentina and the Middle East” presented to the Latin American Studies Association convention in New Orleans, March, 1988
- “Democracy and Foreign Policy in Argentina” presented to the International Studies Association convention in St. Louis, March 1988
- “Revolution in Latin America and Liberation Theology”, presented to the American Political Science Association in Washington, D.C., September, 1988
- “A Realist Approach to International Political Economy,” presented to the International Studies Association conference, March 28April 1, 1989, London,
- “Media Reaction in Latin America towards the U.S. Invasion of Panama,” International Studies Association, Vancouver, March 19-23, 1991.
- “Privatization and Competition in Argentine Political Economy,” Latin American Studies Association, Washington, D.C., April 3-7, 1991.
- “Jewish Actors and Issues in Latin America,” International Studies Association, Atlanta, Georgia, March 31 – April 4, 1992
- “Conflict in Biblical Politics,” Social Science History Association, October 14-16, 1994, Atlanta.
- “Thucydides as a Pluralist,” International Studies Association, 21-25 February 1995, Chicago
- “Latin American Perspectives on Sovereignty,” International Studies Association, 21-25 February 1995, Chicago
- “Privatization and Oligarchy in Argentina,” American Political Science Association, 31 August – 3 September 1995, Chicago
- “Voegelin and Politics,” Social Science History Association, 16-19 November 1995, Chicago
- “The Ancient Mayan City-State System,” International Studies Association, Minneapolis, March, 1998
- “Ancestry and Political Legitimacy Among the Ancient Mayans,” International Studies Association, Vienna, September, 1998.
- “Gender and Politics Among the Ancient Maya,” CISS / ISA Conference, Paris, France, August 9-10, .1999
- “Gende Lineage, and Legitimacy,” III Mesa de Estudios de Género: La condición de las mujeres y las relaciones de género en Mesoamérica prehispanica, 28 al 30 de abril 2003, Mexico City, Instituto Nacional de Antropología.
- “Outcomes Assessment,” presentation at Roundtable on Assessment and Political Science: Issues, Strategies, and Missing Links, American Political Science Association Convention, Philadelphia, August 28 – 31, 2003.
- “Argentine Political Instability,” Latin American Studies Association Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, October, 200
- “From Racism to Humanism in Judeo-Christian Texts,” Catholic Social Teaching on Racism, Conference Sponsored by the Office of Mission Effectiveness, Villanova University, November 19, 2004.
- “Pan-Americanism and the Western Hemisphere Idea Updated,” Latin American Studies Association, Puerto Rico, March 2006.
- “The U.S. Presidential Campaign of 2008 and the Future of U.S. Middle East Policy: An Expectation of Continuity over Change,” Academy of Philosophy and Letters, Baltimore, May 31, 2008.
- “Science and a Canon for Human Culture,” World Forum for the Dialogue of Civilizations, Ottawa, Canada, June 13, 2008.
- “Speaking Up: The Origins of Language,” Villanova Anthropology Lecture Series, February 14, 2009
- “Big History,” World History Association Conference, Beijing, China, July 7th – July 10th, 2011.
- “Religion in the Age of Human Politics,” Global Future 2045, Moscow, February 17 – 20, 2012.
- “Science and Politics, (Big Politics)” International Big History Association meeting, August 2012, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- “Science and Religion, (Big Religion),” International Big History Association meeting, August 2012, Grand Rapids, MI
- Science and the Liberal Arts, 2014 International Big History Association conference, Dominican University of California, San Rafael, CA.
- “Big History and Ecology,” Seizing an Alternative: Toward an Ecological Civilization, June 4 – 7, 2015, Pomona College, CA.
- “Science, the Deep Past, and the Political,” 22nd International Congress of Historical Sciences, August 23 – 29, 2015, Jinan, China.
- “Big Politics,” International Big History Association Conference, July 2016, University of Amsterdam
- “Common Human Ground,” September 2, 2016, American Political Science Association, Philadelphia, PA.
- “Science, the Deep Past, and the Political,” 5th International Scientific Congress, September 25 – 30, 2017, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
- “Big History and Politics,” Conference on Interdisciplinarity and Big History, 23 to 24 March 2018, Symbiosis University, School for the Liberal Arts, Pune, Maharastra, India
Panels Organized and Chaired
- Chair, “U.S. Policy in the Third World,” North East International Studies Association, Providence, Rhode Island, November 10-13, 1988.
- Chair, “Realism: Classical Critiques and Current Applications,” International Studies Association, London, March 28 – April 1, 1989.
- Chair and Discussant, “Critical Issues in International Political Economy,” North East International Studies Association, Providence, Rhode Island, November 15-17, 1990.
- Chair, “Economic Development Under Democratic Regimes”, Latin American Studies Association, Washington, D.C., April 4-6, 1991.
- Chair and Discussant, “International and Domestic Constraints: North and South,” Northeast International Studies Association, Newark, 11-13 November
- Chair, “Religion and Political Conflict,” Social Science History Association, 16-19 November 1995,
- Chair, “Thucydides as an Anti-realist,” International Studies Association, Chicago, 21- 25 February 1995.
- Chair, “Francis and Social Justice,” at Conference on Mercy, Justice, Love and Care for the Earth, Villanova University, April 15, 2018.
- Invited participant of Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs’ “Teaching Ethics and International Affairs”, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, June 11- 17, 1989.
- Invited participant, “Edmund Burke and Liberty,” Liberty Fund Colloquium, Houston, Texas, December 6-8, 1990.
- Invited participant, “Latin American Constitutionalism,” Liberty Fund Colloquium, San Antonio, Texas, November 14-16, 1992.
- 1997, NEH Summer Institute, “The Maya World,” Guatemala and Chiapas.
- 1995 Summer Seminar, “Democracy and Economic Development in Latin America,” University of California, Santa Barbara, Director: David Rock.
- 1993 Fulbright Summer “South America Today” program in Ecuador, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, and Colombia.
- 1989-90 National Endowment for the Humanities, research grant.
- 1986 Fulbright Summer Research Grant.
- 1983-1984 Thomas Jefferson Fellowship of the Ivy Foundation.
- 1983-1984, Governor’s Fellowship, University of Virginia.
Courses taught recently
- Latin American Politics
- Comparative Politics
- International Relations
- Theories of War and Peace
- International Political Economy
- Big History
- US Foreign Policy
Service to the University
- Presenter, “DACA,” November 30, 2017, Bartley 1001, Organized by Communications Department students
- Presenter, “Crisis in Puerto Rico,” October 26, 2017, Hispanic Heritage Month event, Falvey Library.
- Presenter, “Joseph: A Story of Many Colors,” Hebrew Bible Study Group, Corr Hall, September 15, 2017
- Elected Member of University Rank and Tenure Committee, 2014 – 2017
- Associate Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 2010 – 2012
- Associate Dean of Social Sciences, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 2008 – 2010
- Director, Graduate Program in Liberal Studies, 2005 – 2007
- Organizer, 2005 – 17 annual Anthropology Lecture Series
- Chair, Faculty Congress, 1997-99; 2006-08.
- Chair, Villanova Chapter of AAUP (American Association of University Professors), 2000 – 2003.
- Chair, Faculty Task Force, Institutional Self-Study for Middle States Association Accreditation, 1998-2001.
- Faculty member, University Senate, 1997-99.
- Faculty member, Executive Committee, University Senate, 1997-98.
- Member, Stewardship Committee, VP Gary Fenner, Chair,
- Member, Core Curriculum Social Science Committee, 1992-1995.
- Member, College Strategic Planning Committee, 1996-present.
- Member, Part-Time Faculty Committee, 1995-96.
- Member, Villanova Quality Initiative Committee on Awards and Recognition,
- Elected Member Representing the College of Arts and Sciences, Faculty Senate, 1990- 96.
- Member, General Arts Committee, Fall Semester,
- Member, Outcomes Committee, Middle Atlantic Self-Study, 1989-90.
- Discussion Leader, Freshmen Orientation Week 1990, 1991, 1992,
Service to the Department of Political Science
- Department Chair, 2007 – 2008.
- Acting Department Chair, Spring 2007
- Chair, Department Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 2003 – 2005.
- Department Chair, 1993-2001.
- Chair, Graduate Committee, 1990-93.
- Chair, Comparative Politics/Chinese Politics Search Committee,
- Chair, National Security Position Search Committee, 1989-90.
- Member, Faculty Evaluation Committee, 1990, 1991, 1992,
- Chair, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 1988-89.
Service to Profession
- President, International Big History Association, 2016 – present
- Editor, Journal of Big History (2017 – present) and Origins, (2010 – present), a bulletin regularly published by the IBHA.
- Team Member, External Review of Political Science Department at Montclair State University of New Jersey, along with Sheri Berman of Barnard College and David Yalof of the University of Connecticut, On-site visit on April 13, 2018.
- Vice-President, International Big History Association; 2014 – 2016
- Secretary, International Big History Association; 2010 – 2014
- Editor, IBHA Origins (please see Addendum)
- Secretary-Treasurer, Academy of Philosophy and Letters, 2008 – 2011
- Communications Director, Interdisciplinary Comparative Studies Section, International Studies Association, 1997-99.
- Head of Religion Section, Social Science History Association, 1994-95.
- President, Northeast International Studies Association (NEISA), 1990-91.
- Council Member, International Political Economy Section, International Studies Association (ISA), 1989-92.
- Member, ISA, Latin American Studies Association (LASA), American Political Science Association (APSA).
- Program Chair, 1989 NEISA conference,
St. Augustine Center for the Liberal Arts, 253
Department of Political Science
Villanova University Villanova, PA 19085-1699